|Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
Deploying Windows Server 2003 R2 by Modifying the R2comp.inf File
Perform the following tasks to create one operating system source that includes both discs and a modified R2comp.inf file as well as deploys Windows Server 2003 R2:
· Create an operating system source of Windows Server 2003 (Disc 1).
· Create the R2comp.inf file, and add it the Windows Server 2003 R2 installation files (Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2) to the operating system source.
To create an operating system source of Windows Server 2003 (Disc 1)
1. Click Start, and then point to All Programs. Point to Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, and then click Deployment Workbench.
2. In the Deployment Workbench console tree, go to Deployment Workbench/Deployment Shares/deployment_share/Operating Systems (where deployment_share is the name of the deployment share to configure).
3. In the Actions pane, click Import Operating System.
The Import Operating System Wizard starts.
4. On the OS Type page, click Full set of source files, and then click Next.
5. Insert Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 1 in the CD-ROM drive.
6. On the Source page, click Browse, go to the CD-ROM drive that contains Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 1, and then click OK.
7. Click Next.
Note Microsoft supports only the use of Microsoft media when creating a client operating system image. The use of non-Microsoft media is not supported.
8. On the Destination page, type a Destination Directory Name—the name of the folder that will contain the files after they are added to the deployment share; for example, Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition—and then click Next.
9. On the Summary page, verify that the details are correct, and then click Next.
10. On the Confirmation page, click Finish.
To create the R2comp.inf file and add the Windows Server 2003 R2 installation files (Disc 2) to the operating system source
1. In Windows Explorer, go to the operating system source files that you imported in the previous section. The image will be located in drive:\deployment_share\Operating Systems\operating_system_name (where deployment_share is the name of the folder that contains the deployment share to configure and operating_system_name is the name of the folder created in step 8 of the previous section); for example, D:\Production Deployment Share\Operating Systems\Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition.
2. In the operating system source folder, create the folder $OEM$. For example, the following folders should exist:
· D:\Production Deployment Share\Operating Systems\Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition\i386
· D:\Production Deployment Share\Operating Systems\Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition\$OEM$
3. In the $OEM$ folder, create the subfolders $OEM$\$1\R2 and $OEM$\$1\R2\Cmpnents.
4. In the $OEM$\$1\R2 folder, create a file named R2comp.inf.
5. In R2comp.inf, create a [Version] section, and then create a [Components] section that lists the components to install.
For example, the code in Listing 14 installs Active Directory® Application Mode (ADAM) and Common Log File System (CLFS).
Listing 14. R2comp.inf Script Sample
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Note For a complete list of the components that can be installed, see Deploy.chm, located in the \Docs folder of Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2.
6. Copy the contents of the Cmpnents folder from Disc 2 to the folder created in step 3—for example, D:\Production Deployment Share\Operating Systems\Windows-Server-2003 Standard Edition\$OEM$\$1\R2\Cmpnents.
7. Create a task sequence that includes this operating system source.