The Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT) can be used to instruct client products to activate over the Internet. The client products can be installed with any type of product key that is eligible for online activation--MAK, retail, and KMS host key.
Before performing online activation, ensure that your network and the VAMT installation meet the following requirements:
- VAMT is installed on a central computer with
network access to all client computers.
- Both the VAMT host and client computers have
- The products to be activated have been added
- VAMT has administrative permissions on all
computers to be activated, and Windows Management Instrumentation
(WMI) is accessible through the Windows firewall. For more
information, see Configure Client
The product keys installed on the client products must have sufficient remaining activations. In the product key list in the center pane, select the MAK and click Refresh Product Key Data Online to contact Microsoft and retrieve the number of remaining activations for the MAK. Note that this step requires Internet access, and that the remaining activation count can only be retrieved for MAKs.
To perform an online activation
- Open the VAMT Microsoft® Management Console snap-in.
- Select the individual products to be activated in the product
list view in the center pane.
- Right-click the selected product(s) to display the
context-sensitive Actions menu, or choose from the
Action menu on the top menu bar, or choose from the
Selected Items menu from the right-hand pane.
- On the menu, click Activate and then Online
Activate and select the appropriate credential option.
- The VAMT will display the Activating products dialog box
until it completes the requested action. If you selected the
Alternate Credentials option, you will be prompted to enter
Using online activation does not allow you to save the Confirmation IDs (CIDs); as a result, you cannot perform local reactivation.
You can use online activation to select products with multiple key types and activate them simultaneously.