Use the Apply Network Settings task sequence step to specify the network or workgroup configuration information for the target computer. The specified values are stored in the appropriate answer file format for use by Windows Setup when the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr task sequence action is run.
The Apply Network Settings task sequence action can be run in either a standard operating system or the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) For information about task sequence variables for this task sequence action, see Apply Network Settings Task Sequence Action Variables.
You can configure the following settings.
- A short user-defined name that describes the action taken in this step
- More detailed information about the action taken in this step.
- Join a workgroup
- Select this option to have the target computer join the specified workgroup. Enter the name of the workgroup on the Workgroup line. This value can be overridden by the value that is captured by the Capture Network Settings task sequence action.
- Join a domain
- Select this option to have the target computer join the specified domain. Specify or browse to the domain (e.g. fabricam.com). Specify or browse to a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) path for an organizational unit (i.e. LDAP//OU=computers, DC=Fabricam.com, C=com).
- Click the Set button to specify an account with the necessary permissions to join the computer to the domain. In the Windows User Account dialog box you can enter the user name using the following format: Domain\User . For more information, see About the Task Sequence Editor Domain Joining Account.
- Adapter settings
- For each network adapter in the computer, specify network configurations by clicking the New button to open the Network Settings dialog box where network settings are specified. If settings were captured in a previous Capture Network Settings task sequence step, the settings will be applied to the same network adapter and the settings specified in this action will be overridden. If network settings were not previously captured, settings specified in the Apply Network Settings step are applied to network adapters in Windows device enumeration order.