Use the Maximum Run Time tab in the Configuration Manager 2007 <software update name> Properties dialog box to set the maximum amount of time a software update has to complete installation on client computers. If the maximum run-time value has been reached, a status message is created and the deployment is no longer monitored for software update installation. This setting can be configured only on the site that synchronizes with Microsoft Update, most likely the central site.
This setting is also used to determine whether the software update installation should be initiated within a configured maintenance window. If the maximum run-time value is greater than the time left in the maintenance window, software update installation is not initiated until the start of the next maintenance window. When there are multiple software updates to be installed on a client computer with a configured maintenance window, the update with the lowest maximum run time installs first, the update with the next lowest maximum run time installs next, and so on. Before installing each update, the client verifies that the available maintenance window is long enough to install the update. After an update starts installing, it will continue to install even if the installation goes beyond the end of the maintenance window.
|Ensure that the maximum run-time value is not set for more time than the configured maintenance window or the software update installation will never initiate.|
Some software updates might take more time to install than the default setting allows. Increasing the Maximum run time (minutes) setting to accommodate larger software updates is recommended.
|This tab is not displayed when opening the properties for multiple software updates.|
The Maximum Run Time tab contains the following elements:
- Maximum run time (minutes)
- Sets the maximum number of minutes that a software update installation has to complete before the installation is no longer monitored by Configuration Manager. This setting is also used to determine whether there is enough time to install the update before the end of a maintenance window. The default setting is 60 minutes for service packs and 20 minutes for all other software update types. Values can range from 5 to 9999 minutes.
- Saves the changes, and exits the dialog box.
- Exits the dialog box without saving any changes.
- Saves the changes, and remains in the dialog box.
- Opens the help topic for this tab of the dialog box.