Use the Join Domain or Workgroup task sequence action to add the target computer to a workgroup or domain. This task sequence action can be run only in a standard operating system and will not run in Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE). For information about task sequence variables for this task sequence action, see Join Domain or Workgroup Task Sequence Action Variables.
You can configure the following settings:
- A short user-defined name that describes the action taken in this step.
- More detailed information about the action taken in this step.
- Join a workgroup
- Select this option to have the target computer join the specified workgroup. If the computer is currently a member of a domain, selecting this option will cause the computer to reboot.
- Join a domain
- Select this option to have the target computer join the specified domain. Optionally, enter or browse for an organizational unit (OU) in the specified domain for the computer to join. If the computer is currently a member of some other domain or a workgroup, this will cause the computer to reboot. If the computer is already a member of some other OU, Active Directory Domain Services does not allow you to change the OU and this setting is ignored.
- Enter the account which has permission to join the domain
- Click Set to enter an account and password that has permissions to join the domain. The account must be entered in the following format:Domain\accountFor more information, see About the Task Sequence Editor Domain Joining Account.