Use the General tab of the Configuration Manager 2007 Software Metering Properties dialog box to specify the details of the executable file for which you want to create a software metering rule.
This tab contains the following elements:
- Specifies the name of the software metering rule. The name should be unique and descriptive, and it can be up to 256 characters in length. If you select an executable file to be metered by using the Browse button, this field is automatically filled if product information is present in the header of the file.
- File name
- Specifies the name of the executable file you want to meter.
You can click Browse to display the Open dialog box,
in which you can select the executable file to include in the
software metering rule.
Note If you type the executable name into the File name field, no checks are carried out to determine whether this file exists or whether it contains the necessary header information. When possible, use the Browse button to specify the executable file to be metered.Wildcard characters are not permitted in the file name.This field is optional if a value for Original file name is specified.
- Original file name
- Specifies the name of the executable file you want to meter by
reading the file name from the header of the file. This can be used
in cases where the file has been renamed but you want to meter it
by the original name.
Note Wildcard characters are not permitted in the original file name.This field is optional if a value for File Name is specified.
- Specifies the version of the executable file to meter. You can
use the wildcard character (*) to represent any string of
characters or the wildcard character (?) to represent any single
character. If you want to meter for all versions of an executable
file, use the default value (*).
Note This field is not required. However, if you leave the field blank, Configuration Manager 2007 software metering will match this field only if the version field in the executable file header is also blank. It is recommended you enter a value for this field or enter the wildcard symbol (*) to match any version of the executable file.
- Specifies the language of the executable file to meter. The default value is English (United States). If you select an executable file to be metered by using the Browse button, this field is automatically filled if language information is present in the header of the file. To meter all language versions of a file, select - Any - from the drop-down list.
- Specifies an optional description for the software metering rule.
- Site code
- The Configuration Manager 2007 site code that the software metering rule will apply to.
- This rule applies to the specified site and all its child sites
- Indicates whether the software metering rule will apply to all lower level Configuration Manager 2007 sites, in addition to the site code specified in Site code.
- Saves the changes, and exits the dialog box.
- Exits the dialog box without saving any changes.
- Saves the changes, and remains in the dialog box.
- Opens the help topic for this tab of the dialog box.