The Software Updates console tree node is the home page for the software updates feature in Configuration Manager 2007. It displays a summary of software updates compliance, contains the Update Repository, Update Lists, Deployment Templates, Deployment Management, and Deployment Packages sub nodes, and is located in the console tree as follows:
System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Computer Management / Software Updates.
The software update status is displayed in the Software Update Installation Status Summary results pane and is based on specified values for vendor, update classification, and month and year. The data displayed is updated based on the home page summarization schedule, which is 4 hours by default, or by manually using the Run Homepage Summarization action.
The software updates are displayed with the following information:
- Article ID: Specifies the article ID
associated with the software update. The article contains detailed
information about the software update. Click the link to open a Web
page with more information about the specific software update.
- Bulletin ID: Specifies the bulletin ID
associated with security software updates. Security bulletin
details can be found by searching on the bulletin ID at the
Microsoft Security Bulletin Search Web page (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=58313).
- Title: Specifies the title for the
- Severity: Specifies the predefined
vendor severity rating for the software update. The severity can
range from low to critical and cannot be modified.
- Deployed: Specifies whether the
software update has been deployed to clients.
- Total: Specifies the total number of
clients that are in the All Systems collection.
- Installed: Specifies the number of
systems that have installed the software update and no longer
- Required: Specifies the number of
systems that require the software update.
- Not Required: Specifies the number of
systems that do not require the software update.
- Unknown: Specifies the number of
systems in which the software update state is unknown.
- % Compliant: Specifies the percentage
of clients on which the software update is installed or not
required over the total number of clients in the All Systems
- % Compliant (graph): Specifies in a
bar graph the percentage of clients on which the software update is
installed or not required over the total number of systems in the
All Systems Collection.
Before information is available in any of the update repository console tree nodes, the following steps must be taken:
- Enable the Software Updates Client Agent (enabled by
- Enable and configure the Software Update Point.
- Specify at least one update classification, product, and
language, and initiate update synchronization. Depending on how
many updates are synchronized, this process might take a long time
For details about configuring Software Updates, see Administrator Checklist: Configuring Software Updates.
UI Element List
The Software Updates home page displays data for software updates based on defined criteria that is configured in the Software Update Installation Status Summary pane, which contains the following elements:
- Specifies the vendor that created the software updates, for example, Microsoft. Select a vendor from the list to limit the software updates displayed on the home page to only the updates that are from the specified vendor.
- Month and year
- Specifies that software updates created or revised in the configured month and year are displayed. The software updates displayed on the home page are limited to the updates last revised within the specified month and year.
- Update classification
- Specifies the classification for software updates, for example, Security Updates, Service Packs, Applications, and so on. Select a classification from the list to limit the software updates displayed on the home page to only the updates that are in the classification.
- Retrieves the software updates that meet the defined Vendor, Month and year, and Update classification criteria.
Links and Resources
The Links and Resources section of the Software Updates home page provides links to Configuration Manager 2007 console items where Software Updates components can be configured, along with links to common Software Updates reports and links to help and external resource information.
The following links and resource information is available:
- Provides links to other sections of the Configuration Manager 2007 console where software updates components are configured.
- Web Reports
- Provides links to common Software Updates Web reports. For any
of the following reports, click the link on this page to open the
- Compliance 1 - Overall compliance:
Returns the overall compliance for the set of software updates in a
specific update list and collection.
- States 1 - Enforcement states for a
deployment: Returns the enforcement states for a specific
software update deployment.
- Scan 1 - Last scan states by
collection: Returns the count of computers in each of the
compliance scan states returned by client computers in a specific
collection during their last scan for software updates
- Management 1 - Updates required but not
deployed: Returns all vendor-specific software updates that
have been detected as required on clients but that have not been
deployed to a specific collection.
- Compliance 1 - Overall compliance: Returns the overall compliance for the set of software updates in a specific update list and collection.
- Provides links to software updates resources. Click the link to
open the specified resource.
- Software Updates Checklists: Opens the
administrator checklists in the local help file. The checklists
provide the steps necessary to plan for and prepare the software
updates components, configure the software updates components,
assess software updates for compliance, deploy software updates,
and monitor deployment progress.
- Software Updates Troubleshooting:
Opens the software updates troubleshooting content in the local
- Microsoft Update Catalog on
Microsoft.com: Opens the Microsoft Update Catalog external Web
This Web site is a service from Microsoft that provides a listing
of updates that can be distributed over a corporate network. You
can use it as a one-stop location for finding Microsoft software
updates, drivers, and hotfixes.
- ConfigMgr TechCenter on Microsoft.com:
Opens the System Center Configuration Manager TechCenter Web site
on TechNet (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74317).
- Software Updates Checklists: Opens the administrator checklists in the local help file. The checklists provide the steps necessary to plan for and prepare the software updates components, configure the software updates components, assess software updates for compliance, deploy software updates, and monitor deployment progress.
Actions for the Software Updates Home Page
General actions are available from the software updates home page and specific actions are available for software updates when they are selected from the Software Update Compliance Status Summary pane. The following tables list the actions that are available on the software updates home page.
General Software Updates Home Page Actions
The following actions are available from the software updates home page.
Schedule home page summarization
Specifies the schedule for the software updates home page summarization, which is how often the data displayed on the home page is updated with the most recent data in the site database. Configure summarization to occur every x days, hours, or minutes. By default, summarization is scheduled for every 4 hours.
Run home page summarization
Specifies that the software updates home page summarization occurs as soon as possible. The data displayed on the home page is updated with the most recent data in the site database. The scheduled summarization will still occur on its schedule interval.
Opens a Configuration Manager 2007 Web site where feedback can be given.
Provides the following view options:
Customize: Specifies which items are displayed in the Configuration Manager 2007 console window.
New windows from here
Opens a new console window using the current node as the root node.
Refreshes the display with the most current information.
Opens the associated help topic.
The following actions are available from the software updates displayed in the Software Update Compliance Status Summary pane.
Download Software Updates
Opens the Download Updates Wizard to download the software update source files.
Deploy Software Updates
Opens the Deploy Software Updates Wizard to create a deployment for the selected software updates.
Opens the Update List Wizard where the software update can be added to a new or existing authorization list.
Opens the Software Update Name Properties page for the selected software update.
The following actions are also available by using the drag-and-drop functionality. One or more software updates can be dragged and dropped onto an existing deployment or deployment template.
Drag-and-drop a software update onto an update list
Open the Update List Wizard to add the software update to the selected update list.
Drag-and-drop a software update onto a deployment template
Opens the Deploy Software Updates Wizard to create a deployment, using the selected template, for the selected software update.
Drag-and-drop a software update onto a deployment
Opens the Deploy Software Updates Wizard to add the software updates to the selected deployment.
ConceptsAbout Software Update Deployment Packages
About Deployment Templates in Software Updates
About Software Update Deployments
About Update Lists in Software Updates
Administrator Checklist: Configuring Software Updates
How to Manage Software Update Files
How to Manage Software Updates Metadata
Other ResourcesHow to Manage Software Update Deployments
Software Updates Home Pages