Use the General tab of the Configuration Manager 2007 Software Distribution Access Account Properties dialog box to set or update permissions for users and user groups to access package data on distribution points. Only permissions for previously existing access accounts can be set in this dialog box; to add a new access account, you must use the New Access Account Wizard.
|Mobile devices do not use Access Accounts. Mobile devices access distribution points anonymously.|
For more information about access accounts and when to use them, see About Package Access Accounts.
|If you modify the permissions of an existing account, you must refresh all distribution points associated with your package. When distribution points are refreshed, the package source is recopied from each site server to its distribution points. To minimize the resulting impact on network resources, if you have several changes to make, make them all before refreshing the distribution points.|
The following permissions can be specified for users and user groups:
- Read: Enables the account to view and
copy files, run programs, change folders with the shared folder,
and read extended attributes of files.
To run a program file (a file with a .com, .exe, or .bat extension), a user must have Read permission.
- Change: Enables the account to change
the contents and extended attributes of files. Change
permission is required for applications that need to write
information back to the shared package folder on the distribution
- Full Control: Enables the account to
read and write the contents and extended attributes of files.
- No Access: Prevents the account from
reading, writing, or deleting files on the package share.
Note When using package access accounts, it is important to ensure that all clients that will receive the package have access to the distribution point through the defined access accounts. Advertised programs will fail to run if users do not have the appropriate rights to access the package.
The General tab contains the following elements:
UI Element List
- Specifies the name of the access account to which you want to grant access to the package share on distribution points.
- Allows the administrator to specify the account name. This option can be set using the New Access Account Wizard, but it is unavailable from the dialog box.
- Account type
- Displays the type of access account, either a Generic access account or a Windows User account.
- Allows the administrator to grant the level of access desired to the specified account.
- Saves any changes and exits the dialog box.
- Exits the dialog box without saving any changes.
- Saves any changes and remains in the dialog box.
- Opens the help topic for this tab of the dialog box.