Use the General tab of the Configuration Manager 2007 mobile device password policy for the Pocket PC 2003 properties dialog box to specify the configuration item name and description.
Many enterprises have a corporate policy that all employee contact information and current e-mail must be securely protected. Password policy allows a Configuration Manager 2007 administrator to enforce password usage by users. The Configuration Manager 2007 administrator can specify the type of password and the timeout interval. Configuration Manager 2007 administrators can decide whether to allow users to change these settings on mobile devices.
Password policy also allows for the Configuration Manager 2007 administrator to enforce a strong administrator password after a specified number of failed entry attempts. This setting instructs the mobile device to display a strong administrator password prompt if a user incorrectly enters a password into the password entry dialog box a specified number of times. The administrator password feature is designed so that, in the event of an attack on a locked stolen mobile device, an administrator-defined strong password protects the mobile device. A different message appears, saying that an administrator password is required to return to the user-defined password prompt.
The administrator-defined password does not circumvent the user’s password since the user password is still required to be entered following successful entry of the administrator lock-out password. Also, this feature is not designed to assist users if they have forgotten their user-defined password. In this scenario, users must perform a reset on the mobile device and reload their data.
Specify the name and description of the configuration item to be distributed to mobile devices.
- Specifies the name of the configuration item for mobile devices. The name should be unique and descriptive.
- Specifies the description of the configuration item for mobile devices. The description should give an overview of the configuration item and relevant information that helps identify it among other items displayed in the Configuration Items pane of the Configuration Manager Administrator console.
- Configuration Type
- Specifies the configuration type of the configuration item for mobile devices.
- Specifies the platforms that the configuration item can configure.
- Saves the changes and exits the dialog box.
- Exits the dialog box without saving any changes.
- Saves the changes and remains in the dialog box.
- Opens the help topic for this tab of the dialog box.