Use the General tab in the Configuration Manager 2007 deployment package name properties dialog box to specify the deployment package name and description, package source, sending priority, and whether to use binary differential replication. Deployment packages are created by using the Download Updates Wizard or Deploy Software Updates Wizard.
The General tab contains the following elements:
- Specifies the name of the deployment package. The package should have a unique name, describe the package content, and is limited to no more than 50 characters.
- Specifies the description of the deployment package. The package description should describe the package contents in detail and is limited to no more than 127 characters.
- Package source
- Specifies the location of the software update source files.
When the deployment is generated, the source files are compressed
and copied to the distribution points that are associated with the
deployment package. The source location must be entered as a
network path (for example,
\\server\sharename\path), or the Browse
button can be used to find the network location.
Note The deployment package source location must not be used by another deployment or software distribution package. Important The SMS Provider computer account and the user who will actually download the software updates to the download location both require write access to the download location. Restrict access to the download location to reduce the risk of attackers tampering with the software updates source files in the download location.
- Enable binary differential replication
- Specifies whether binary delta comparison should be used on changed package source files. Selecting the check box enables this behavior and allows Distribution Manager to transfer only parts of the file that have changed instead of the entire file. This behavior can result in large bandwidth savings in transferring the changes for large files, compared with the traditional method where the entire file is transferred. For more information, see About Binary Differential Replication.
- Saves the changes and exits the dialog box.
- Exits the dialog box without saving any changes.
- Saves the changes and remains in the dialog box.
- Opens the help topic for this tab of the dialog box.
TasksHow to Manually Download Software Updates
ConceptsAbout Binary Differential Replication
About Software Update Deployment Packages
About Software Update Deployments
About the Download Updates Wizard
How to Manage Software Update Files
Planning for a Software Update Deployment