Use the Sync Settings tab in the Configuration Manager 2007 Software Update Point Properties dialog box to configure the software update point synchronization settings and whether to create Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) reporting events.
The software update point will synchronize from Microsoft Update, from the upstream update server, or is not configured to synchronize. The software update point that is highest in the Configuration Manager 2007 hierarchy (most often the central site) synchronizes with Microsoft Update and all other software updates points synchronize with the software update point configured at the parent site.
|The software update point on the central site should always be configured to synchronize from Microsoft Update. When any other setting is selected, synchronization will not succeed on the central site.|
Optionally, synchronization can be disabled and the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) import/export tool can be used to export the software updates metadata from one site and import it at another site. Software update points are installed on WSUS servers and use site-to-site WSUS communication channels for synchronization.
When the software update point is configured to synchronize from an upstream update server or when synchronization is not enabled, the Classifications tab, Products tab, and the Summary Details column in the Languages tab are hidden and use the settings from the software update point that synchronizes with Microsoft Update, usually at the central site.
The Windows Update Agent (WUA) on client computers can be configured to create reporting event messages that are used in WSUS reporting. These reporting events are not used by Configuration Manager and can be disabled if WSUS reporting is not used.
The Sync Source tab contains the following elements:
- Synchronize from Microsoft Update
- Specifies that the software update point synchronizes with Microsoft Update. This setting should be selected for only the software update point that is highest in the Configuration Manager 2007 hierarchy.
- Synchronize from an upstream update server
- Specifies that the software update point synchronizes with an upstream update server. The software update point at the parent Configuration Manager 2007 site is automatically configured to be the upstream update server.
- Do not synchronize from Microsoft Update or an upstream update server.
- Specifies that the software update point does not synchronize with any server. Select this option if using the WSUS export/import function to obtain software update definitions. For more information, see How to Synchronize Updates Using Export and Import.
- Do not create WSUS reporting events
- Specifies that the WUA on client computers will not create the WSUS reporting events. This is the default setting.
- Create only WSUS status reporting events
- Specifies that the WUA on client computers will create only WSUS status reporting events.
- Create all WSUS reporting events
- Specifies that the WUA on client computers will create all WSUS status reporting events.
- Saves the changes and exits the dialog box.
- Exits the dialog box without saving any changes.
- Saves the changes and remains in the dialog box.
- Opens the help topic for this tab of the dialog box.
TasksHow to Create and Configure an Active Software Update Point
How to Configure Software Updates Synchronization
How to Add the Software Update Point Site Role to a Site System
How to Synchronize Updates Using Export and Import
ConceptsAbout the Software Update Point
About the Software Updates Process
Determine the Software Update Point Infrastructure
How to Manage Software Updates Synchronization
Planning for the Software Update Point Installation
Planning for the Software Update Point Settings