Use the Deploy Software Updates Wizard in Configuration Manager 2007 to create a software update deployment, which downloads the software updates and creates a deployment package if necessary, allows for the creation of deployment templates, and deploys the software updates defined in the deployment to members of the target collection.
The following deployment properties are defined in the Deploy Software Updates Wizard:
- Deployment name and description
- *Display and time settings
- *Restart settings
- *Event generation
- *Download settings
- *SMS 2003 settings (available only when
every software updates in the deployment is deployable to Systems
Management Server 2003)
- Deployment package (available only when at
least one software update has not been already downloaded or when
deploying to SMS 2003 clients)
- Download location
- Language selection
- Deployment schedule
- Network Access Protection (NAP) evaluation
(if NAP is enabled)
An asterisk (*) denotes the properties that can be stored in a deployment template. An existing deployment template can be selected at the start of the wizard to automatically populate these properties. If a deployment template is not used when creating a deployment, the properties are manually entered and can optionally be saved as a deployment template within the wizard and used in future deployments.
The deployment package settings are not displayed if all software updates in the deployment have previously been downloaded and copied to a package shared folder on the distribution point. When previously downloaded, the deployment is automatically configured to use the package that hosts the software update.
The NAP evaluation settings are not available when NAP is not configured for this site. For more information about configuring NAP, see Administrator Checklist: Configure Network Access Protection for Configuration Manager.
The Review/Accept License Terms Dialog Box opens before the Deploy Software Updates Wizard if one or more software updates require License Terms approval. When the license terms are approved, the Deploy Software Updates Wizard opens.
Click the related link for detailed information about each wizard page in the Deploy Software Updates Wizard.
In This Section
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: General Page
- Specifies the name and description of the deployment.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Deployment Template Page
- Specifies whether to use a deployment template.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Collection Page
- Specifies the collection that will be targeted for the software update deployment.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Display/Time Settings Page
- Specifies whether the user will be notified of pending software updates, the installation progress for software updates, whether a client evaluates the deployment schedule based on local or Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), and the default duration between software update availability and mandatory installation on clients.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Restart Settings Page
- Specifies the system restart behavior when a software update installs on a client and requires a restart to complete.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Event Generation Page
- Specifies whether Microsoft Operation Manager alerts are disabled while the software updates install and whether an Operation Manager alert is created when a software update installation fails.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Download Settings Page
- Specifies how clients will interact with distribution points when they receive a software update deployment.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: SMS 2003 Settings Page
- Specifies whether to deploy software updates to SMS 2003 clients that are in the target collection.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Create Template Page
- Specifies whether to save the configured deployment properties in a template for use in future software update deployments.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Deployment Package Page
- Specifies the package that will be used to host the software updates in the deployment.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Distribution Points Page
- Displays the distribution points used to host the software update package defined in the deployment.
- Add Distribution Points Dialog Box
- Specifies the distribution points that are available to be added to the deployment package.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Download Location Page
- Specifies whether the software updates in the deployment are downloaded from the Internet or from the local network.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Language Selection Page
- Specifies the languages for which the software updates in the deployment are downloaded.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: Deployment Schedule Page
- Specifies the schedule for when a software update deployment becomes active, when software update installation is enforced on clients, whether to enable Wake On LAN, and whether to ignore maintenance windows when installing updates.
- Deploy Software Updates Wizard: NAP Evaluation Page
- Specifies whether the software updates in this deployment will be included in a Network Access Protection (NAP) evaluation.
- Wizard - Summary Page
- Provides a summary of the deployment properties.
- Wizard - Progress Page
- Provides the progress for deployment creation.
- Wizard - Completing the Wizard Page
- Provides a summary of the created deployment properties or a list of issues that occurred during deployment creation.