The Import Computer Information Wizard in Configuration Manager 2007 imports new computer information into the Configuration Manager database. This allows administrators to deploy an operating system to a new computer that is not managed by Configuration Manager, including computers that currently have no operating system installed. Information for one or more computers can be imported by using a file that contains the appropriate computer information, or the information for a single computer can be imported by specifying the appropriate information in the wizard.
|If the computer to be imported already exists in the Configuration Manager 2007 database, the new computer information will overwrite the existing computer information.
To run the Import Computer Information Wizard, you must have the security right Import computer entry that is granted at the Site object class level. Additionally, you need the following security rights, depending on the version of Configuration Manager:
- Versions prior to Configuration Manager
2007 SP2: The Read security user right for the
Collections class and the Modify security user right
for the collection selected in the wizard that will contain the
- Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 and
later: The Read and Modify security user rights for
the collection selected in the wizard that will contain the
For more information about configuring security rights in the Configuration Manager console, see Overview of Configuration Manager Object Security and WMI.
In This Section
- Import Computer Information Wizard - Select Source Page
- Specifies whether the computer information is imported by using a file or by specifying the information in the wizard.
- Import Computer Information Wizard - Choose Mapping Page
- Specifies the file that will be used for importing the information for one or more computers. This page displays only if the Import computers using a file option is selected on the Select Source page of the wizard.
- Import Computer Information Wizard - Single Computer Page
- Specifies information about the computer that will be imported. This page displays only if the Import single computer option is selected on the Select Source page of the wizard.
- Import Computer Information Wizard - Data Preview Page
- Displays the information about the computers that will be imported.
- Import Computer Information Wizard - Choose Target Collection Page
- Specifies whether the new computers will be added to an existing collection.
- Wizard - Summary Page
- Provides a summary of the computer information that will be imported.
- Wizard - Progress Page
- Provides the progress when the computer information is being imported.
- Wizard - Completing the Wizard Page
- Provides a summary of the computer information that was imported or a list of issues that occurred during the import process.