This guide will familiarize you with deployment and technical information about the SMS 2003 Management Pack. With this information, you can plan your Management Pack deployment, understand the features that the Management Pack offers, and understand how to use those features to benefit your IT organization.
The System Center Operations Manager 2007 Management Pack for SMS provides improved capabilities for SMS 2003 monitoring, including the following:
- Monitoring the starting and stopping of all SMS 2003
services, including critical dependent services like Windows
Management Instrumentation (WMI), Internet Information Services
(IIS), Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and Microsoft
- Alerting the SMS administrator to critical SMS status
- Monitoring backlogs of discovery data records (DDRs), software
inventory, hardware inventory, status messages, and software
metering on both primary site servers and management points.
- Monitoring system resource usage.
- Monitoring processing rates.
- Monitoring the performance trends of many SMS performance
counters by using views and reports.
- Product knowledge content for all alerts and processing
- Detecting all SMS 2003 computers and computer groups.
- Reports displaying performance, availability and configuration
of SMS 2003 management points and server groups. These include
linked reports providing enhanced reporting of Systems Center
Operations Manager 2007 for performance, configuration and
- Monitoring of Device Management Feature Pack.
- Tasks for executing SMS Administrator console applications.
- State view containing the health of all SMS server roles and
the SMS Advanced Client.
- Service Discovery of important SMS server and SMS client
- Suppression of Service Unavailable alerts arising from the
execution of SMS Site Backup.
- Topology diagram of the SMS site hierarchy (SMS 2003 service
pack 3 required).
- SMS 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) configurable alerting on
distributed program execution failure through SMS program
For more information about monitoring scenarios and features, see the Management Pack Monitoring Scenarios. The SMS 2003 Management Pack is not designed to do the following:
- Provide the monitoring of SMS 1.2, SMS 2.0, SMS 2003
- Monitor mixed SMS environments. Mixed environments have
SMS 1.2, SMS 2.0, and SMS 2003 installations running
side by side.
- Limited monitoring of SMS client-only computers running the SMS
- Provide an out-of-the-box monitoring solution that manages any
SMS 2003 installation without any modifications. Rule
thresholds are different for every SMS 2003 installation and
customers must customize rules themselves.