The File Exists basic rule is used when creating or modifying custom updates in the Custom Updates Publishing Tool. Most often it is used as a prerequisite or applicability type rule. The specific file and file properties are verified with what is found on the client. If the rule does not pass verification, the custom update is considered not needed or applicable on the client. The File Exists rule has the following configuration settings:
- Common Paths: Specifies a common folder where the file
is located. This is an optional field when specifying an absolute
path in the Path field, but required when a relative path is
used. For example, if you know that Notepad.exe is located in the
Windows folder, but the drive location is unknown, the Windows
common path can be used to specify the folder location and
Notepad.exe can be used in the Path field to specify the
- Path: Specifies the path to the file. The path is an
absolute (c:\Windows\Notepad.exe) or relative path
(MyFolder\Notepad.exe). This is a required field.
- Version: Specifies the version of the file. The version
must be a valid format or the required field indicator displays.
This is an optional field.
- Size: Specifies the size of the file in bytes. This is
an optional field.
- Created Date: Specifies the date the file was created.
Use the check box to enable this property and then specify the
creation date and time of the file. The default value is the
current date and time. This is an optional field.
- Modified Date: Specifies the date the file was last
modified. Use the check box to enable this property and then
specify the last modified date and time of the file. The default
value is the current date and time. This is an optional field.
- Digest: (SHA1): Specifies the fixed-size result obtained
by applying the SHA-1 hashing algorithm to the file. For example,
the digest for Notepad.exe might result in
7VWtCnB4ZRhXvY/A7t2LB/lFlMw=. This is an optional field.
- Language: Specifies the language for the file. This is
an optional field.