Use the Create Rule dialog box to create new rules in the Custom Updates Publishing Tool. The dialog box is opened from the Manage Rules dialog box by clicking Create. There are three categories of rules, over 20 rule types, and rule type properties to configure for each rule created.
This dialog box contains the following elements:
- Create Basic rule
- Specifies to use the basic rule category, which is used for prerequisite, applicability, or installed verification depending on the rule type. There are over 20 rule types available for basic rules. For more information, see Basic Rules.
- Create MSI rule
- Specifies to use the MSI (Windows Installer) rule category, which is used most often for prerequisite verification because Windows Installer-based updates auto-populate applicability and installed rules for verification. Windows Installer rules check for a specific software update, product, component, or feature. For more information, see MSI Rules.
- Use existing rule
- Specifies to use a previously created rule. The properties for the rule can be modified, if required.
- Rule Type
- Specifies the type of rule for the specified category. There are over 20 rule types for basic rules and several more for Windows Installer rules. Select the rule type from the drop-down list. For more information about each rule type, see Custom Updates Publishing Tool Rule Types.
- Not rule
- Specifies to create the rule with the NOT operator. When the Inventory Tool for Custom Updates evaluates a Not rule, the logical result is reversed. Therefore, a rule that would normally return TRUE now returns FALSE and vice versa. For more information, see Not Rules.
- Specifies the properties for the selected rule type. The required field indicator displays for the properties that must be configured.
- Save your rule as
- Specifies to save the rule with the configured name. Saved rules can be used when creating new updates by selecting the Use existing rule option.
- Saves the changes and exits the dialog box.
- Exits the dialog box without saving any changes.