If you specified a test computer during Setup, the default objects created install the SMS 2003 R2 Inventory Tool for Custom Updates on the test computer. To install the inventory scan tool on all applicable clients, you must either modify the default collections or create your own advertisements and collections. After your clients have run the inventory scan tool, you can see the results in the reports. Finally, the Distribute Software Updates Wizard is used to distribute the applicable custom software updates to clients.
|At least one custom software updates catalog must be synchronized with the SMS 2003 site server database before using the Inventory Tool for Custom Updates. For more information about publishing the custom updates to a catalog and synchronizing the catalog to the SMS database, see Publishing Custom Updates.|
The following topics and procedures in this section provide more information about using the SMS 2003 R2 Inventory Tool for Custom Updates.
In This Section
- Managing Collections for the Inventory Tool for Custom Updates
- Provides information about managing the Inventory Tool for Custom Updates collections.
- How to Distribute Custom Software Updates
- Provides details about how to distribute custom software updates to clients.
- Viewing the Inventory Tool for Custom Updates Results
- Provides information about viewing the inventory scan and custom software update installation results using Resource Explorer, reports, and status messages.