When you need to extend or modify the functionality of System Center Service Manager 2010, you have to modify the properties of one or more of the classes that are related to the functionality you want to change.
Each class has properties that are specifically defined for that class and internal properties that are added by the system to all classes. The internal properties are designated by the suffix ‘(Internal)’. In addition, a class has details such as Description and Management Pack Name that provide general information about the class.
After you open a management pack in the System Center Service Manager Authoring Tool, you can view the classes, the properties, and the details of the class in that management pack. Any customized classes in that management pack are also displayed. You can then customize these classes and properties to define or modify functionality.
A class customization is always based on an existing class. Customizing a class is achieved by either extending an existing class, or by inheritance from a base class:
- Extending a class – You extend a class by
adding new properties or relationships to it. This modifies the
definition of the class and results in the addition of the new
properties and relationships to all instances of that class.
- Inheriting from a base class – You define a
new class that inherits properties and relationships from the base
class. You can then add or modify properties and relationships of
the new class. Inheritance does not change the definition of the
Using the Authoring Tool, you can add customizations to any class that exists in the system. The Authoring Tool provides a shortcut for inheriting from the base configuration item or work item classes.
The procedures in this section describe how to work with classes in the Authoring Tool.
In This Section
- How to Browse a Class in the Authoring Tool
- Describes how to locate and view a class in the Authoring Tool.
- How to Edit Details of a Class in the Authoring Tool
- Describes how to edit the details such as the description and name of a class in the Authoring Tool.
- How to Create a Class Using Inheritance in the Authoring Tool
- Describes how to define class inheritance in the Authoring Tool.
- How to Extend a Class in the Authoring Tool
- Describes how to extend a class in the Authoring Tool.