Mobile Device Manager (MDM) software distribution enables information technology administrators to use Microsoft Windows Software Update Services (WSUS) to distribute software to managed Windows Mobile devices.
How MDM Software Distribution Works
WSUS lets administrators deploy the latest Microsoft product updates to computers that are running a Windows-based operating system. MDM software distribution extends that capability by letting you deploy software packages to managed Windows Mobile devices by using WSUS installed on MDM Device Management Server. MDM Device Management Server checks WSUS regularly for newly published software packages, determines which packages apply to each managed device, and then distributes the packages accordingly.
MDM Software Distribution Console interfaces with the WSUS server in the domain. This lets administrators create and deploy software packages to managed devices. You can install MDM Software Distribution Console while you install MDM Administrator Tools.
The following overview shows you how to distribute a software package to a managed device.
- The device connects through MDM Gateway Server at its scheduled
- The device connects to the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) service
on MDM Device Management Server and communication is established
between the device and the OMA service by using an OMA DM session.
- MDM Device Management Server checks its database to obtain the
OMA DM commands for the device.
- MDM Device Management Server offers the software package(s)
applicable to the device.
- The device downloads and automatically installs the software
- The device reports the result of the installation back to MDM
Device Management Server.