In Essentials 2007, groups are logical collections of objects, such as Windows-based computers, hard disks, or instances of Microsoft SQL Server. You create a group by using the Create Group Wizard, and you use one or more of the following criteria to establish membership for the group:
- A list of the objects' names.
- A formula that dynamically populates the membership of the
group, such as a formula that adds domain controller objects to the
- Other groups.
- A list of the objects' names to exclude from the group.
In Essentials 2007, you use groups for the following purposes:
- Create views for specific groups of objects and approve members
of an Essentials 2007 user role to see the views. For example,
you can create a state view for the Messaging group and approve
members of the Messaging Operators user role to see the Messaging
view. For more information, see Views in System Center
- Use overrides to disable or adjust the configuration of a
monitor that is applied to a group of, or individual, managed