This section describes the high-level system architecture and component design of Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V) 2.0 .
MED-V enhances Windows Virtual PC to run two operating systems on one device, adding virtual image delivery, Group Policy-based provisioning, and centralized management. By using MED-V, you can easily configure, deploy, and manage corporate Windows Virtual PC images on any Windows-based desktop running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate. The MED-V solution includes the following components:
- MED-V Host
- A Windows 7 environment that includes a MED-V Host Agent, an
electronic software distribution (ESD) system, a registry
management system, and a MED-V guest. The MED-V host interacts with
the MED-V guest so that certain setup functions and system
information can be processed.
- MED-V Host Agent
- The MED-V software contained in the MED-V host that provides a
channel to communicate with the MED-V guest. It also provides
functionality such as first time setup and application publishing.
Note After MED-V and its required components are installed MED-V must be configured. The configuration of MED-V is referred to as first time setup.
- ESD System
- Your existing software distribution method that lets you deploy and install the MED-V workspace package files that MED-V creates.
- Registry Management System
- Your existing method of managing Group Policy settings and preferences.
- Windows Virtual PC Image
- An administrator-defined virtual machine that contains the
- Corporate OS
- Your standard corporate operating system.
- Management and Security Tools
- Your standard management and security tools, such as virus protection.
- MED-V Guest
- A Windows XP SP3 environment, as part of a Windows Virtual PC
running on Windows 7 that contains the following components:
- MED-V Guest Agent
- The MED-V software contained in the MED-V guest that provides a
channel to communicate with the MED-V host. It also supports the
MED-V Host Agent with functions like performing first time setup.
Note The MED-V Guest Agent is installed automatically during first time setup.
- ESD Client
- An optional part of your ESD system that installs software packages and reports status to the ESD system.