|Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
Step 1-15: Configure Discovery of Active Directory Users
In some instances, software will be deployed to user collections that Configuration Manager 2012 discovers. Configuration Manager 2012 can discovery user accounts stored in AD DS using the Active Directory User Discovery discovery method.
To configure discovery of Active Directory users
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft System Center 2012. Point to Configuration Manager, and then click Configuration Manager Console.
2. In the Configuration Manager console, in the navigation pane, click Administration.
3. In the Administration workspace, go to Overview/Hierarchy/Discovery Methods.
4. In the preview pane, click Active Directory User Discovery.
5. On the Ribbon, on the Home tab, click Properties.
The Active Directory User Discovery Properties dialog box appears.
6. In the Active Directory User Discovery Properties dialog box, on the General tab, perform the following steps:
a. Select the Enable Active Directory User Discovery check box.
b. In Active Directory containers, click New.
The New Active Directory Container dialog box appears.
c. In the New Active Directory Container dialog box, in Path, click Browse.
The Select New Container dialog box appears.
d. In the Select New Container dialog box, click mdt2012, and then click OK.
In the New Active Directory Container dialog box, the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) path is displayed in the Path box.
e. In the New Active Directory Container dialog box, click OK.
The LDAP path appears in the Active Directory containers list box.
7. In the Active Directory User Discovery Properties dialog box, click OK.
The Configuration Manager dialog box appears, querying whether you want to perform the discovery as soon as possible.
8. In the Configuration Manager dialog box, click Yes.
9. In the Configuration Manager console, in the navigation pane, click Assets and Compliance.
10. In the Assets and Compliance workspace, go to Overview/Users.
The list of users discovered in AD DS is displayed in the preview pane.
11. Close any open windows.