|Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
Preparing for UDI Deployment to the Reference Computer
Regardless of the MDT deployment scenario you are performing using UDI, always start by creating a reference computer, and then capturing an image of that computer. Later in the MDT deployment process, you will deploy the captured image of your reference computer to the appropriate target computers. In addition, you can use existing operating system images in WIM format.
Create a reference computer for each image that you want to create for deployment to the target computers. For more information about determining the number of images required in your organization (and subsequently the number of reference computers required), see Estimate Storage Requirements for Configuration Manager Distribution Points. For more information about the use of reference computers in MDT deployments, see Using Reference Computers in MDT Deployments.
To prepare for deployment to the reference computer
1. Create a new task sequence that will deploy the target operating system to the reference computer using the Create MDT Task Sequence Wizard in the Configuration Manager console as described in Creating a UDI Task Sequence Using MDT Task Sequence Templates.
Tip Create the task sequence for deploying to the reference computer based on the User-Driven Installation task sequence template included in MDT.
2. Configure Configuration Manager to contain the appropriate software for deployment to the reference computer, including the following:
· Configuring applications and operating system packages as described in Managing Software Packages in Configuration Manager 2012 or Managing Software Packages in Configuration Manager 2007 R3, which is the same process for UDI and ZTI deployments.
· Configuring device drivers as described in Managing Device Drivers in Configuration Manager 2012 or Managing Device Drivers in Configuration Manager 2007 R3, which is the same process for UDI and ZTI deployments.
3. Ensure that all packages, including operating system deployment packages, that the new UDI task sequence uses are properly distributed to the assigned distribution points as described in Managing Distribution Points in Configuration Manager 2012or Managing Distribution Points in Configuration Manager 2007 R3, which is the same process for UDI and ZTI deployments.
Note Most production networks have multiple distribution points. When performing this step in a production environment, select the appropriate distribution points for the network.
4. Customize the MDT configuration files to the needs of your organization as described in Configuring MDT Deployments.
Important If you are capturing an image of the reference computer, you must at least add the DoCapture property to the CustomSettings.ini file for the task sequence by specifying DoCapture=YES or DoCapture=SYSPREP.
5. Optionally, enable monitoring of the MDT deployment process as described in Monitoring MDT Deployments.
6. Customize the task sequence to the needs of your organization as described in Configuring ZTI Task Sequence Steps in Configuration Manager 2012 or Configuring ZTI Task Sequence Steps in Configuration Manager 2007 R3, which is the same process for UDI and ZTI deployments.
Note The UDI deployment process is unable to perform Sysprep operations on a target computer that is encrypted by using BitLocker Drive Encryption. Do not enable BitLocker on the reference computer, and enable BitLocker on the target computers only after the target operating system is completely deployed.