Applications can be deployed as a part of the operating system image or after the operating system is deployed to the target computer. In preparation for deployment, perform these tasks:
· Create an application portfolio. Application portfolios include a list of applications and the compatibility status of each application. You can create this application portfolio by using software-inventory software such as the Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT), the Asset and Compliance feature in Configuration Manager 2012, or the Software Inventory feature in Configuration Manager 2007 R3.
· Identify any dependencies between applications. Applications may have dependencies on other applications. For example, an application may rely on Microsoft Office Excel® 2007. Identify these dependencies, and include the dependent software in the deployment plans.
· Determine whether to deploy applications with the operating system image or afterwards. You can deploy applications as part of the operating system image or after the operating system is deployed to the target computer. If the application is deployed after the operating system is deployed, you can use any software-deployment software, such as MDT, Group Policy Software Installation, the Application Management feature in Configuration Manager 2012, or the Software Deployment feature in Configuration Manager 2007 R3.
· Determine the appropriate method for running applications. You can install and run applications on the local computer or deploy them dynamically in a virtualized application environment, such as App-V.
· Identify the users approved to install applications. Determine whether users will install their applications or if the applications need to be installed by deployment technicians. Ensure that the user installing the application has the appropriate rights and permissions.
· Identify applications that require a restart of the operating system. Applications that require a restart of the operating system after installation require additional configuration. For more information, see Configure the Computer to Restart After Application Installation.