MDT includes a database—the MDT DB—that you can use to provide configuration settings for LTI or ZTI deployments using Configuration Manager 2012 or Configuration Manager 2007 R3. Configure the MDT DB through the Deployment Workbench in MDT or any other data-management tool that you can use to modify information stored in SQL Server databases.
Conceptually, the MDT DB is a centralized version of the CustomSettings.ini file. The advantage to using the MDT DB is that for larger deployments, you have a centralized repository for managing deployment configuration settings.
You can store the MDT DB on the same SQL Server computer that is used for Configuration Manager, on a SQL Server computer on which MDT is installed, or on any other SQL Server computer in your organization.
Perform deployments using the MDT DB by:
· Prepare the MDT DB to provide configuration settings for MDT deployments as described in Preparing the MDT DB.
· Select the methods for applying configuration settings to targeted computers using the MDT DB as described in Selecting the Methods for Applying Configuration Settings.
· Manage the configuration settings stored in the MDT DB as described in Managing Configuration Settings Stored in the MDT DB
· Configuring MDT deployment process to retrieve configuration settings from the MDT DB by changing CustomSettings.ini as described in Configuring the MDT Deployment Process to Retreive Configuration Settings from the MDT DB
· Extending the schema of the MDT DB as described in Extending the MDT DB Schema
Using the Microsoft Deployment
Preparing the MDT DB
Selecting the Methods for Applying Configuration Settings
Managing Configuration Settings Stored in the MDT DB
Configuring the MDT Deployment Process to Retreive Configuration Settings from the MDT DB
Extending the MDT DB Schema