|Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
Install or Upgrade to MDT for the ZTI Deployment Process Using Configuration Manager 2012
The first step in performing ZTI deployments is to have at least one instance of MDT running in your environment. Install MDT on each computer that has the Configuration Manager console installed and that you will use to create or edit task sequences that MDT generates. If your existing environment has:
· No computers currently running MDT or a previous version of MDT or BDD, install one or more new instances of MDT as described in Installing a New Instance of MDT.
· One or more computers running a previous version of MDT or BDD, upgrade those instances to MDT as described in Upgrading to MDT. After the upgrade process is complete:
· Run the Configure ConfigMgr Integration Wizard. This wizard must be run after the upgrade to register the new components and install the ZTI new task sequence templates.
· Run the Remove PXE Filter Wizard. If you had previously installed and configured the PXE filter to support the unknown computer capability in previous versions of MDT. This support is now provided in Configuration Manager 2012 and has been removed in MDT.
· Ensure you create a new Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Files package for any new ZTI task sequences you create. The existing Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Files package can be used for any ZTI task sequences created prior to the upgrade, but a new Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Files package must be created for new ZTI task sequences.
· Ensure any ZTI task sequences created prior to the upgrade use the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Files package that existed prior to the upgrade. You can modify these ZTI task sequences, but you cannot use any of the new MDT task sequence actions or steps. To use the new MDT task sequence actions or steps, create a new ZTI task sequence.
Note If you upgraded from a previous version of Configuration Manager to Configuration Manager 2012, you can use ZTI task sequences for MDT that were created in the previous version of Configuration Manager as long as they were created using the same version of MDT.