Because the sequencing process is system resource intensive, this guide suggests that the client computer have plenty of memory, a fast processor, and a fast hard disk. The specific recommendations are:
· Processor. Intel Pentium III 850 MHz or faster processor; the sequencing process is a single-threaded process and does not take advantage of dual processors.
· Memory. 256 MB of RAM or more; a 500 MB page file is recommended.
· Hard disk. Two physical disks with a minimum of 20 GB each; install the operating system and local applications on one disk, and use the second disk as the target for the virtual applications. It is recommended that the disks be at least three times as large as the largest application that will be sequenced. If only one hard disk is available, use at least two NTFS file system volumes to partition the drive. Sequencing is disk intensive, and a fast disk speed will improve sequencing time.
· Operating system. The same operating system as the client computers; the App-V Sequencer runs on the following x86 operating systems (the sequencer is not supported on 64-bit operating systems or WOW64 on 64-bit operating systems):
· Windows XP Professional with SP2 or SP3
· Windows Server 2003
· Windows Vista
· Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008
· Additional software. Software installed on the App-V Sequencer computer should match the software installed on the target computers as closely as possible. For example, if Microsoft Office Outlook® is installed locally on each client computer, it should also be installed on the App-V Sequencer computer.
In practice, the lab will likely have multiple App-V Sequencer computers: one to represent each configuration to which virtual applications will be deployed. And some applications will require physical computers rather than VMs to sequence. Additionally, consider implementing a method for quickly restoring a sequencing computer’s image after sequencing an application. Similar to undo disks in Virtual Server 2005 R2, this capability will streamline the sequencing process considerably.
To install the App-V Sequencer on a computer
1. Copy the App-V Sequencer installation files to the computer on which it will be installed.
2. Start the Sequencer Installation Wizard by running Setup.exe from the location containing the source files.
If the Visual C++ with SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) is not detected prior to installation, Setup.exe will install it.
3. On the Welcome page, click Next.
4. On the License Agreement page, select I accept the terms in the license agreement to accept the terms of the license agreement. Click Next.
5. On the Destination Folder page, shown in Figure 22, click Next to accept the default installation folder.
Figure 22. Choosing a destination folder
6. To specify a different destination folder, click Change, and then specify the installation folder that will be used for the installation.
7. On the Ready to Install the Program page, click Install to start the installation.
8. On the InstallShield Wizard Completed page, click Finish to close the installation wizard and open the App-V Sequencer.
To close the installation wizard without opening the App-V Sequencer, clear the Launch the program check box, and then click Finish.