|Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
Generate Media Images in the Deployment Workbench
You can generate media images of the media content in the Deployment Workbench using the Update Media Content Wizard. The Update Media Content Wizard creates WIM file images of the media content that you can use to perform stand-alone LTI deployments from media. Ensure that sufficient storage exists for the folder containing the media content prior to running the Update Media Content Wizard, as the wizard does not verify that sufficient storage exists prior to generating the media content.
Note The Update Media Content Wizard opens the media path in single-user mode, which assumes that no other users are simultaneously making updates to the files and folders in the media path. If other users make changes while the Update Media Content Wizard runs, those changes may be overwritten and lost during the generation process.
To generate media images of media content
1. Click Start, and then point to All Programs. Point to Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, and then click Deployment Workbench.
2. In the Deployment Workbench console tree, go to Deployment Workbench/Deployment Shares/deployment_share/Advanced Configuration/Media (where deployment_share is the name of the deployment share to which you will add the application).
3. In the details pane, click media (where media is the name of the media for which you want to generate the media).
4. In the Actions pane, click Update Media Content.
The Update Media Content Wizard starts. The replication process starts automatically and is displayed on the Progress wizard page.
5. Complete the Update Media Content Wizard using the information in Table 76.
Table 76. Information for Completing the Update Media Content Wizard
On this wizard page
View the progress of the replication process.
Tip You can click Save Output to save the output of the wizard to a file. You can also click View Script to view the Windows PowerShell scripts used to perform the wizard tasks.
Note If you view the output of the wizard, the generation process appears to have occurred twice. However, the process is actually performed in two passes: The first pass copies new items into the media target folders, and the second pass deletes any items that are no longer needed in the media target folders.
The Update Media Content Wizard finishes, and the following files are created:
· An ISO file in the media_folder folder (where media_folder is the name of the folder that you specified for the media)
Generating the ISO file is an option that you configure by selecting the Generate a Lite Touch bootable ISO image check box on the General tab of the media Properties dialog box. Clear this check box to reduce the time needed to generate the media unless you need to create bootable DVDs or start VMs from the ISO file.
· WIM files in the media_folder\Content\Deploy\Boot folder (where media_folder is the name of the folder that you specified for the media).
The folders and the content you specified in the selection profile in the media are stored in the image files.
You can also create a bootable device that contains a copy of the media_folder\Content folder (where media_folder is the name of the folder you specified for the media) so that you can start a target computer from a UFD or USB hard disk. For more information, see Create Bootable Devices from Deployment Media.