|Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
Enable Multicast Deployments with MDT Installed on a Different Computer from Windows Deployment Services
In this scenario, Windows Deployment Services and Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008 operating system are all installed on the computer acting as the deployment server, but MDT is installed on another computer. In this configuration, remotely run the WDSUTIL command on the computer running Windows Deployment Services and Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008 operating system.
To enable multicast deployments with MDT Installed on a different computer than Windows Deployment Services
1. Install Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008 operating system on the computer hosting the deployment share.
2. Install the Windows Deployment Services server role on the computer hosting the deployment share.
3. Install Windows AIK for Windows 7 or Windows AIK Supplement for Windows 7 with SP1 on a computer other than the computer hosting the deployment share.
4. Install MDT on the same computer as in step 3.
5. On the computer hosting the deployment share, in a Command Prompt window, type the following command, and then press ENTER (where remote_server is the name of the computer running Windows Server 2008 or the later server operating system with the Windows Deployment Services server role and deploy_share_path is the fully qualified path to the root of the deployment share).
wdsutil.exe /new-namespace /friendlyname:"BDD Share Deploy$" /server:remote_server /namespace:"Deploy$" /contentprovider:WDS /configstring:"deploy_share_path" /namespacetype:AutoCast
When completed, the WDSUTIL tool creates an Auto-Cast Windows Deployment Services multicast transmission from the deployment share.