The proposals that the MAP Toolkit prepares are in the Microsoft® Office Word® document format. These proposals describe the current state of your environment, provide information about the benefits of upgrading to a new operating system or to new software, and describe suggested hardware and software changes that will facilitate your migration. Most proposals have a companion Microsoft® Office Excel® report that provides detailed hardware and software inventory information about the client computers and server in your environment. Unless otherwise indicated, these proposals are generated by the Inventory and Assessment Wizard.
The proposals that the MAP tool prepares include:
· Windows 8 Proposal: Summarizes the readiness of computers on your network for migration to Windows 8. Indicates which computers already meet the hardware requirements for Windows 8, and describes any hardware or BIOS upgrades you should complete before migration.
· Windows 7 Proposal: Summarizes the readiness of computers on your network for migration to Windows 7. Indicates which computers already meet the hardware requirements for Windows 7, describes any hardware or BIOS upgrades you should complete before migration, and addresses the compatibility of the devices installed on each computer.
· Windows Server 2012 Proposal: Summarizes the hardware readiness of servers for a migration to Windows Server® 2012 and indicates whether they are capable of running Windows Server® 2012.
· Windows Server® 2008 R2 Proposal: Summarizes the hardware readiness of servers for a migration to Windows Server® 2008 R2 and indicates whether they are capable of running Windows Server® 2008 R2.
· Microsoft® SQL Server® Proposal: Summarizes SQL Server® components installed in your environment, indicates how they map to components in SQL Server® 2012 and describes any guidance and best practices for migrating those components.
· MySQL, Oracle and Sybase Discovery Proposal: Identifies Windows and Linux computers running MySQL, Oracle and Sybase databases. It will also discover Oracle servers that are installed on HP-UX. This information can be used to assess your environment for migrating to Microsoft® SQL Server®.
· Server Consolidation and Virtualization Proposal: This proposal is generated using the Server Consolidation Wizard. When the wizard is run, you are asked to supply the hardware configuration for a machine profile that will host servers consolidated on a virtualized platform using Hyper V virtualization technologies. Based on the inputs provided in the wizard, the reports are generated outlining how those servers should be placed in the virtualized environment.
· Microsoft Private Cloud Fast Track Planning Proposal: This proposal describes the benefits of deploying Microsoft Private Cloud Fast Track based private cloud. It offers detailed deployment and sizing recommendations based on key performance metrics and detailed hardware specifications of each server that the Microsoft® Assessment and Planning (MAP) tool inventoried across the network.
· Network Access Protection (NAP) and Forefront® Client Security Proposal: Provides an overview of NAP within Windows Server® 2008 and Forefront® Client Security, and describes the benefits it can specifically provide for your IT environment. Also presents an assessment of computers running a client operating system and your server environment in terms of readiness to support NAP and Forefront® Client Security.
· Office 2010 Proposal: Summarizes the readiness of computers on your network for migration to Office 2010. Indicates which computers already meet the hardware requirements for Office 2010. Describes any hardware upgrades you should complete before migration.
· Internet Explorer Migration Assessment Proposal: Provides details about Windows Internet Explorer and Non-Microsoft® browsers deployed in your environment. This proposal also provides information about the Internet Explorer Add-ons deployed in your environment.
· VMware Infrastructure Assessment Proposal: This document summarizes the results of a VMware Infrastructure Assessment generated by the MAP Toolkit. This document includes details about the VMware virtualization platform, virtual machines (VMs) and the management infrastructure deployed in your environment.
· Windows Azure Migration Proposal: This proposal provides guidance on migrating the selected application to the Windows Azure™ platform. The proposal offers detailed information based on application requirements, performance metrics, and detailed hardware specifications of each server that was gathered for your application.