The specific configuration design tasks that you can perform with the MPS Deployment Tool prior to starting the actual deployment of MPS components are as follows:
- Pointing the tool to shared folder locations for the following
- MSI and sources files - Includes the Microsoft Installer (MSI)
applications for MPS components and the source files to be deployed
with each MPS component.
- MpsRequirements.xml - Existing file that defines the required
components, resources, and dependencies for MPS, and serves as an
overall configuration template of tool components for new
- MPSConfig.xml - Generated by the tool after starting the
deployment process. This file is a superset of the
MpsRequirements.xml file and contains requirements information in
addition to unique information that is specific to the current
- ActionHistory.xml - Maintains an aggregated record of all
actions taken in the tool interface; generated each time you use
the tool for configuration or deployment.
- Session.log - Provides a log file for the current tool
- MSI log files - Stores log files for components installed by
the MSI applications.
- MSI and sources files - Includes the Microsoft Installer (MSI) applications for MPS components and the source files to be deployed with each MPS component.
- Locating servers in the hosting environment domain and assign
them appropriately as the installation sites for the various
- Configuring the Active Directory operational mode.
- Scheduling the MPF components and related procedures that you
want to install and run at deployment time.
- Verifying the assignments of MPF components from an existing
deployment (when performing installations or reconfigurations
subsequent to the initial deployment).
- Forcing the state of components from an existing
- Exporting configuration files for backup purposes.