System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2010 requires a SQL Server 2008 SP1 instance for the DPM database. During setup, you can choose to have DPM Setup install a new, dedicated SQL Server 2008 instance on the DPM server, or you can specify a supported remote SQL Server 2008 instance. For detailed instructions for installing SQL Server 2008 on a remote computer, see Installing a Remote Instance of SQL Server 2008. For a list of supported versions of SQL Server 2008, see DPM Server Software Prerequisites.
When you use a remote instance of SQL Server for DPM, note the following:
- The remote instance of SQL Server must be
running SQL Server 2008 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Standard or Enterprise Edition.
- The remote SQL Server instance cannot be on a
- The computer running SQL Server must be
located in the same domain as the DPM server.
- DPM Setup creates the DPMDBReaders$<DPM
server name> and DPMDBAdministrators$<DPM server
name> local groups on the remote instance of SQL Server. DPM
administrators must be added to these groups to use the remote
instance of SQL Server.
- For the DPM server to access a remote SQL
Server instance through Windows Firewall, on the remote computer
you must configure an exception for SQLServer.exe to use
When installing a new remote instance of SQL Server for use with DPM, we recommend that you use the following SQL Server settings:
- Use the default failure audit setting.
- Assign a strong password to the sa
- Enable password policy checking.
The following procedure explains how to install and configure a remote SQL Server 2008 instance for use by DPM.
To install and configure a remote SQL Server 2008 instance for DPM
On the product media or network share, double-click setup.exe, and then in the SQL Server Installation Center, click Installation in the navigation pane on the left.
Note If you are installing SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008 R2, you will receive a compatibility warning when you begin Setup and again when you click Installation in the SQL Server Installation Center. In both instances, click Run program to continue installing SQL Server 2008.
On the Installation page, click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
The SQL Server 2008 Setup Wizard opens.
On the Setup Support Rules page, review the status of the support rules and correct any failures before proceeding with the installation.
On the Setup Support Files page, click Install, and then click Next.
On the Feature Selection page, select the following features:
- Database Engine Services and both of its
- Reporting Services
- Management Tools – Basic (also enables the
Management Tools- Complete feature)
- SQL Client Connectivity SDK
- Database Engine Services and both of its sub-features
Proceed to the Instance Configuration page, click Named instance, enter a name for the SQL Server instance, and then click Next.
Proceed to the Server Configuration page, and then do the following: enter an account name, password, and startup type for each SQL Server service, and then click Next.
When configuring the service accounts, consider the following:
- For the SQL Server Browser and SQL
Server Agent services, set the Startup type to
- We recommend that you use a separate
dedicated domain user account for each service. However, the SQL
Reporting Services service can be configured to run under the
Network Service account.
- Use the least-privileged user account on the
computer running SQL Server.
- For the SQL Server Browser and SQL Server Agent services, set the Startup type to Automatic.
On the Database Engine Configuration page, accept Windows authentication mode as the authentication mode, and then click Add Current User in the Specify SQL Server administrators area.
Retain the default settings on all subsequent pages, and then on the Ready to Install page click Install.
Important Before you run SQL Server, install SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or later.
Install the DPM Support Files on the SQL Server by performing the following steps:
- On the remote SQL Server computer, navigate to the
SQLPrepInstaller folder on the DPM product DVD or the
directory on a network share.
- Depending on the operating system running on the computer,
right-click either SQLPrepInstaller_x64 or
SQLPrepInstaller_x86, and then click Run as
- Follow the steps in the wizard, which installs Microsoft Visual
C++ 2008 Redistributable.
- On the remote SQL Server computer, navigate to the SQLPrepInstaller folder on the DPM product DVD or the directory on a network share.
After the installation of the SQL Server instance is complete, do the following:
- Ensure that the SQL Server Browser
service is started.
- If Windows Firewall is enabled on the SQL
Server, ensure that an exception for port 80 is created for
- Remote connections are enabled on the SQL
- Click Start, click SQL
Server 2008, click Configuration Tools, click
Reporting Services Configuration Manager, and then ensure
that both the Report Manager URL and Web service URL are
- Ensure that the SQL Server Browser service is started.