This topic demonstrates how to use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool to add a Windows® Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) update to an offline Windows PE image. Most hotfixes from Windows Update do not apply to Windows PE for the following reasons:
- Windows PE is a small subset of the
Windows operating system.
- Windows PE runs very few services.
To add a Windows PE update to a Windows PE image offline
- Use the DISM tool to mount the base image to a local
Windows PE directory. For example,
Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\winpe_x86\mount
- Add an update to the base image by using the DISM
command with the /Add-Package option. For example,
dism /image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:<full Path to a package>
- Determine the name of the update by using the DISM
command with the /Get-Features option. For example,
dism /image:<path to image> /Get-Features
By default, the state of each package is set to "Enable Pending", which indicates the Optional Component is installed and enabled. For more information on the /Get-Feature option, see Enable or Disable Windows Features Online [auth_7_phases].
- Repeat for each additional update.
- Commit changes to the image. In this step, you commit the
changes to the original image file by using the DISM
/unmount option with the /commit option. For
Dism /unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Commit
To learn more about managing packages, see Operating System Package Servicing Command-Line Options.