This alert is generated when the backup to tape job on the specific tape failed.
View the alerts detail pane to determine why the backup failed.
The following are possible causes for the “Backup to tape failed” alert:
- The tape is stuck in the drive.
- The home slot of a tape currently in the drive is already
occupied by another tape.
- A media dismount failed.
- The media was decommissioned.
- There has been a network failure.
- Permissions to the protected object are not available.
- The tape is marked suspect.
- Data on the media is corrupt.
- The tape drive is not operating correctly.
- The tape drive is not online.
- The tape might have read or write errors on it.
- There is no free tape in the drive.
The error conditions and recommended actions associated with each “Backup to tape failed” alert are provided in the alert details.
Follow the recommended action in the alert to retry the job.
Resolved when: The drive operates correctly; there is a free tape in the drive; the tape does not have read or write errors on it; or a media dismount succeeds.
For information about how to manage tape libraries in DPM and how to back up to tape, in the DPM 2007 Operations Guide, see Managing Tape Libraries (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=91964).